Wednesday, January 29, 2014

When I Have Fears That I Might Cease to Be: John Keats via Maia Porcaro

Keats' Grave


From the wonderful 'Videopoems' section of the Moving Poems website, this visual interpretation of John Keats' powerful poem, "When I Have Fears That I Might Cease to Be:" 


 
When I Have Fears from Maia Porcaro on Vimeo.


When I Have Fears That I Might Cease to Be - John Keats

When I have fears that I may cease to be
   Before my pen has gleaned my teeming brain,
Before high-pilèd books, in charactery,
   Hold like rich garners the full ripened grain;
When I behold, upon the night’s starred face,
   Huge cloudy symbols of a high romance,
And think that I may never live to trace
   Their shadows with the magic hand of chance;
And when I feel, fair creature of an hour,
   That I shall never look upon thee more,
Never have relish in the faery power
   Of unreflecting love—then on the shore
Of the wide world I stand alone, and think
Till love and fame to nothingness do sink.

---------------
 
 
 

so many!
on the shore at a hut of reeds
reed thrushes
Issa
translated by David G. Lanoue


 
Lots going on at the moment - a reading coming up a week from Saturday, doing a final edit on the forthcoming Yield to the Willow (page down a bit), my 2nd collection, and finalizing the selections for the Haiku Foundation's April Per Diem feature, so Wednesday Haiku is on temporary hiatus and, hopefully, will be back in a week or two.
 
 
best,
Don
 Send one haiku for the Wednesday Haiku feature. Here's how.

  Go to the LitRock web site for a list of all 184 songs

1 comment:

Peter Newton said...

just a great video glimpse
of the poetry in life
past and present